Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Making Mama Nervous

We are now 23 days out from our dachshund Li'l Girl's hemilaminectomy, and I just thought I'd post an update even though not much has changed since my last post. 
Now that she's been completely off any pain meds for a while and is returning to her pre-surgery energy levels, she is getting more and more bored with being in her recovery pen.  When we take her out for potty breaks, she is her twisty, wiggly little self and that, of course, makes me nervous.  She's so full of pent-up energy that she also wants to run, which is something else she's not supposed to be doing.  It's difficult to manage how active she is outside the pen, even on a leash.  It has been unseasonably warm lately, so when we get outside, she wants to stay out there a while to explore.  Sometimes we have to lure her back in with a small treat.  I'm starting to wonder if we should put her on a mild sedative - not anything to "knock her out", so to speak, just something to make her a little more... well... sedate.
Other than making me nervous, thus far her energetic antics haven't hampered her recovery.  As I've mentioned in previous posts, her walking is almost normal, with just a few stumbles/sways here and there.  She takes care of all of her "business" perfectly, with just slight variations in body posture from the way she used to do it.  Her sensation is very good, as evidenced by her noticing when a tiny winged insect landed on her rear end while we were outside a couple of days ago.  As soon as it landed, she quickly turned her head around to see what was touching her.  Her incision looks good, as you can see by the photos below. 
She is now whining to go outside, so I better attend to that.  Truthfully, she probably just wants to go outside, but I never take the risk of her needing to go and not going.

Six days after suture removal.


Chew sticks help keep me sane.
Ten days after suture removal.

No comments:

Post a Comment