Friday, January 13, 2012

Yay for Two!

We are now five days out from our dachshund Li'l Girl's hemilaminectomy.  Everything is still the same or progressing.  She is still urinating and having bowel movements on her own, all outside - not a single accident inside.  Yesterday was her first day to have two bowel movements in one day, which is what is normal for her; and she's already had another earlier this morning.  I never thought that seeing one of my dogs (or any dog, for that matter) pooping would make me so happy, but you don't realize how much that task gets taken for granted until they might not be able to do it on their own anymore.
When we take her outside for her potty trips, her walking is wobbly and fumbly, but there seems to be very little weakness.  We actually have to make her slow down because she wants to go, go, go.  I know she finds it depressing to get right back in her pen after going outside.  I hate that I can't explain to her why she needs to be in there, but I know it would break her heart to hear that she still has quite a few weeks of restricted activity ahead of her.  But she, and most importantly her spine, need the rest.  
While I was tending to her earlier, our other dachshund LittleBear got sick in the other room.  Poor baby.  If he doesn't have a snack in the mornings, his stomach gets too acid-y and he throws up.  We know this is the problem, because he never gets sick as long as he has his morning snack.  I've thought about putting him on an acid reducer, but dogs have their amazingly strong stomach acid for a reason.  It's what keeps them from getting sick when they decide to eat random nasty things outside, rotting earthworms being one example in his case.  Those have a very particular stench and are a favorite for him to roll in or chomp down... or both.  Of course, us humans would prefer our dogs not roll in or eat dead things, but they are dogs and you can't stop all their doggy behavior.  Anyway, the vomit he gets from having an empty stomach too long is always nothing but yellow and would make for great carpet stains if it weren't for products like Nature's Miracle and Kids 'n' Pets.  Seriously, they are lifesavers.  Urine, feces, vomit... you name it, they take care of it.  I know I sound like an advertisement, but honestly, I am truly thankful for these products.  We always keep at least one of the two on hand.
Anyway, they've had their snacks and medicine, and the vomit has been cleaned up.  They are napping and all is well for the moment.

LittleBear is keeping me company as I try to get in the sunny spot.
All this resting is exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment