Saturday, January 14, 2012

Stir Crazy

Our dachshund Li'l Girl is now six days out from her hemilaminectomy to repair her ruptured disc and all is still going well.  Potty breaks are still perfect - on schedule with all business being done outside.  Walking is still a little wobbly and stumbly, but still strong.
She has to be in her little enclosure 24 hours a day, only out to use the restroom, and the cabin fever is really setting in.  She gets very(!) excited when my husband gets home from work every day, and we have to make sure she doesn't get too rambunctious in there.  Well, yesterday, since she was so excited, my husband thought he might let her out (leash-free) for a few minutes to sit and cuddle with him.  I was against this idea, knowing she was just too excited to be still, but the process was already in motion by the time I could open my mouth.  With no leash on to prevent her from going anywhere, she bolted down the hallway to the living room as soon as he opened her enclosure.  We ran after her and caught the little bundle of wiggly, squirmy excitement.  I nearly had a stroke.  Why, you might question.  Surely tearing down the hallway couldn't be that big of a deal.  It may not seem like a big deal, but the simple act of running puts too much stress on her healing spinal cord and discs, possibly causing re-injury; and we could be back to square one or worse.  I can't lie, I was very angry.  Her recovery has been going amazingly well, and now it could all be blown on this one careless event.  I spend all day, every day making sure to be meticulously careful with her movement and activity level, and I felt like he just came home and set her free.  I know that he didn't mean for her to bolt the way she did, but it was everything I could do not to scream at him, "What did you THINK was going to happen?!?!"
I have just been so stressed with all of this happening in the first place, and then so stressed about any little thing causing a setback (or even reversal) in her recovery that being calm, collected, and rational can go right out the window.  I was exploding inside, but I held it in.  I wasn't truly angry at him... I knew in my heart that he was only trying to spend some close time with his Li'l Girl.  The fear of wrecking her recovery was where the rage was coming from... I had to bring the fear down to bring the rage down.  It was time to make dinner and I used my time in the kitchen to collect myself and regain my composure.  I needed to refocus and accept that we can't control everything.  We can only do our absolute best and deal with circumstances, positive and negative, as they arise... stop fearing that the bridge is going to crumble beneath us when we're not even standing on it yet.  IVDD is a lifelong condition, and there is no way to know how smooth or bumpy the road ahead of us will be, but we'll adapt as we go.  
I managed to calm down and the rest of the night was uneventful.  This morning has been good, with her even waking us up before 7 to go outside.  She seems the same as usual, not in any more discomfort or having any harder of a time moving around, so hopefully last night's short blast of freedom won't prove to have any ill effects and her progress will continue forward on track.

Is that Daddy I hear??
Let me outta here -  I know Daddy's home!

No comments:

Post a Comment